Water kefir is a simple and inexpensive probiotic beverage. It is so simple to make that it is a great beginner’s approach to home fermentation projects. To make water kefir, you will need water kefir grains. Once you have acquired your water kefir grains, the process is simple:
- Make a solution of sugar water of about 1/4 cup sugar in one quart of water.
- Allow the sugar to dissolve. (You might use warm water to do so but allow the water to cool before proceeding to the next step.
- Add kefir grains to your sugar water solution. A couple of teaspoons of water kefir grains is plenty (more will be fine too).
- Allow the sugar water and water kefir grains to sit for one to two days.
- Strain off the water kefir grains from the sugar water.
- Add a juice or infusion (one cup, give or take, will do) and let it sit until the mixture tastes great. It might be too sweet at first. If so, let it sit until the sugar flavor lessens. It may take as long as a week.
- Begin the process again with your water kefir grains.